Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lose yourself in the Great British Galapagos: Remote St Helena is a unique natural wonder crammed with fascinating wildlife - and a new airport is transforming it into a winter sun hotspot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lose yourself in the Great British Galapagos: Remote St Helena is a unique natural wonder crammed with fascinating wildlife - and a new airport is transforming it into a winter sun hotspot

I am bobbing along beside a fish bigger than a school bus, ahead lies a boundless sea of marine life, and I have a shark’s-eye view of the southern Atlantic Ocean. This is St Helena, the edge-of-the-world British territory adrift off West Africa, and my adrenaline levels soar as I eyeball an absolutely gargantuan whale shark through my mask. It’s the first time I’ve ever felt edible.

With the recent launch of flights to St Helena from Johannesburg – and later in the year from Cape Town – the island’s spectacular natural flora and fauna has seen it dubbed the Great British Galapagos and climb the list of must-see destinations.

The lush island is home to everything from black-sand beaches and Jurassic-era cloud forests to rolling plantations and twisty roads. On land you can find the world’s oldest giant tortoises (four of them), and at sea you’ll find a pod of 800 dolphins.

Read More:
Working...
X